Book Favourites | 4 Books You Need to Read


Reading has always been one of my favourite past times ever since I was a little girl. From reading the Dear Dumb Diary series to classics like Pride & Prejudice, there is no limit to the kinds of books I enjoy. I've never been too picky when it comes to choosing books and although I hate starting a book and not finishing it, sometimes it's just too hard to get into a book and stick with it.

This post is going to be all about books. More specifically my top 4 favourite books that I've read over the last year or so.
Photo by WikiSummaries
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini 
Set in Kabul, this book tells the story of an unlikely friendship and the importance of treating everyone with kindness. Amir and Hassan have been best friends since they were born and when Amir decides to abandon their friendship because of the interference it has with his father Baba, it becomes the decision that he regrets the most as he gets older.

This is one of the most heartbreakingly beautiful books I've ever read. I read this for my English class last semester and to be completely honest, I didn't think I was going to love it as much as I did. Hosseini did an incredible job at portraying the struggles of people during the political rises in Afghanistan. He also managed to touch on some not so pleasant subjects such as rape, in a way that did make you feel sad but you were able to see the real side to how people who go through this have to deal with it. From the first to the last page of this book, it was definitely one that I couldn't put down.
Photo by GoodReads
How to Love by Katie Cotugno
The tale of a complicated love story. Reena has been in love with Sawyer from the moment they met but when he disappears out of the blue, he leaves behind a very shocked and pregnant Reena. The story moves from Before & After. So, three years later when Reena starts getting her life together with the help of her daughter, Hannah, the unexpected return of Sawyer spins her life around once again.

This book, what can I say. It had me laughing, crying, angry and happy. Every emotion you could think of I probably felt it while reading this book. The relationship that Sawyer and Reena have is both beautiful and intriguing. This book has a very YA feel to it and I think the biggest thing is whether or not you think that Sawyer and his actions are charming or obnoxious because there are definitely times when you just think why does he do that? Despite of that, Cotguno does a really amazing job at switching from past and present in a way that's not too confusing. I think it even makes it that much more interesting and gives the book perspective. 10/10 would love for this to be a movie because the whole time I was reading I could picture it so perfectly ahaha.


The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
Every day is the same for Rachel, same train to and from work, passing the same streets and houses. She's even concocted a story for the people that live in one of the house. The perfect couple you may call it. Unlike the life she has now. When she sees something suspicious happening whilst on the way to work, everything changes. Everything is different from that point on. Should she tell someone? Rachel gets stuck in the middle of a very dangerous investigation. 

I'm not someone who is usually into mystery/thriller typed books but there was just something about this story that is so hauntingly interesting. You can't trust anyone in this book and every time you think you've figured out what is happening, BAM something else happens that gets you all confused again. The story was told from three different perspectives and I thought that was a really great touch for the book. You were really able to see what the other two people were thinking during the course of the novel as opposed to just one person. Such an incredible read that had me on my toes for the whole time I was reading it.



The House of Memories by Monica McInerney
After a tragic accident, Ella is left feeling lost and alone. She jets off to London to escape whats happened in her past. She leaves behind her husband Aidan and her spoiled half-sister Jess. In London, she has the support of her Uncle Lucas who's house holds many memories. As Ella starts to deal with her grief, her sister Jess comes into town to pursue her own dreams, Ella has to learn how to forgive and move on from the events that brought her sadness.

Like all of the other books in this post. It had me hooked from the first page. This book was definitely not the typical love story or anything like that. Yes, it had aspects of relationships, but it was more than that. It was about family, loss and finding yourself amongst the sadness. It had a lot of heart and showed the real sides of dealing with tragedies. This book had a mystery aspect to it too and I think that it added a different perspective and side to this story. It's pretty different for a YA novel to have so many diverse sides and I love that it did that!

xoxo
Meagan

Comments

Popular Posts